The sad truth about car accidents is that your entire life can change in an instant, and sometimes you might not even know where to turn. Especially if you haven’t been in a car accident before.
That’s where Cooper Elliott can help. Our Ohio-based team of attorneys has years of experience helping people through catastrophic injuries and car accidents, and we’re ready to fight for the justice you deserve. Learn more about how to handle an Ohio car accident and what a car accident lawyer can do for you.
What should I do after a car accident in Ohio?
It’s always important to understand the steps you need to take after an accident. The insurance companies are quickly working to gather information and minimize your claim. You should also be taking steps to protect yourself and your rights in order to give yourself the best chance of recovering the fair value of your claim.
Here are some things to keep in mind if you ever find yourself in an accident:
- Check yourself, your passengers, and others. Medical injuries should be examined as soon as possible after reporting the accident, but if any injuries are serious, then people should immediately see a medical professional. You should always follow treatment guidelines and seek appropriate care. Insurance companies may try and use any delay in treatment or failure to follow treatment against you.
- Remain polite with all parties involved. This includes the vehicle drivers, insurance adjusters, and passengers, as well as any law enforcement or medical personnel called to the scene. If you are called by any insurance company, we recommend at least consulting with counsel before providing any statement or information about your injuries or accident.
- Gather information. It is important to gather as much evidence as possible. If possible, you should write down names, vehicle information, location information, and weather conditions, as well as the contact information of any witnesses to the accident. It is also important to get photos of the vehicles and your surroundings. This can all be used as evidence.
- Report the accident. This can be an important step in the process if you need to move forward with legal or insurance claims. Police will often gather information that is important to tracking down the at fault party if you are seriously injured and cannot gather information yourself.
- Keep records. This is helpful is a lawsuit is initiated and during the settlement process. We are all busy and can quickly forget just how significant injuries are as time passes. Record your injuries, daily life activities, and how the accident has changed your life. With records, it will be easier to recall just how impactful the accident was at different periods in your recovery process.
How can a lawyer help me after an Ohio car accident?
If you are injured, it’s best to contact an experienced Ohio car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. Lawyers can assist not only with potential legal proceedings, but they can assist with insurance claims too. Also, they can help you understand and evaluate all the possible damages you can recover, for both current and future suffering, and help ensure you are compensated the fair value for your claim.
Experienced car accident attorneys like our team at Cooper Elliott have experience with a variety of different types of car accidents.
We’ve helped victims with the following:
What damages can I recover in a car accident case in Ohio?
When you experience an accident, you might be entitled to damages and compensation. For example, if you face a serious injury, there are many potential forms of recovery that is important to obtain guidance on from an experienced attorney.
Some of those damages you can recover with a car accident claim:
- Past and future medical care costs
- Lost wages and benefits
- Lost earning capacity
- Rental car costs
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Inability to perform usual activities
- Loss of use
- And other potential losses or costs of the accident or injuries in the accident
It’s also important to remember that your injuries or other accident-related conditions may not all present immediately. Your lawyer can help you consult with professionals about the long-term effects of your injuries, or other conditions of your accident that might continue to affect you down the line.
Do I have to go to court for a car accident?
Some people might avoid an attorney after a car accident because they don’t want to go to court.
This concern is understandable, as going to trial can be time-consuming. Plus, it might not be worth it if you aren’t guaranteed damages from a jury, and if you don’t want your information to become public record.
However, a car accident lawyer can be a crucial player in the settlement process, which is good news because around 95% of car accident claims are actually settled out of court.
A dedicated car accident lawyer can assist you in this process and ensure your wants and needs are served. However, if needed, our attorneys are always prepared to take your case to trial to get you the just compensation you deserve.
Contact Cooper Elliott Ohio Car Accident Attorneys Today
No matter what type of accident you may find yourself facing, you deserve justice, and our team at Cooper Elliott is ready to fight for you if you sustained serious injuries in an accident or get you to a lawyer who can handle your claim. We care about you, and we aren’t afraid to do what it takes to maximize the compensation you’re owed. Contact our experienced team of Ohio car accident lawyers today to schedule your first call with a member of our team.